Our Family Command Center



Over at Hello Mornings Blog last week, I entered into a "PLAN Mini Challenge for an entire week.  The challenge was really simple. Our first simple planning tip was to write down 3 top things that were a priority for that day on a 3 x 5 index card and go do them! 

Simple, right? Of course it was!

The next day we were challenged to do the same thing but this time we were to add a time next to each item to tell what time of day we would accomplished that item.

Simple, right? Of course it was!

Well, I didn't really get through all three of the second day.  I only completed two items on my list. So here comes the downward spike... the next few days became so overwhelming that I never made it to complete any of the three items on my list! BOMB SHELL! It was time for me to evaluate the problem.

We all are suppose to leave room for error and things that occur that we don't have any control over, but I just felt like it was far greater than that in my life. It was something that I wasn't doing to help me accomplish those three priorities (my one little word again).  With much thought, I tried to find the problem.

Organization! 


That's it! Planning is a great tool but I believe it works better with organization. So yesterday, I decided to take a trip to Ollie's and help my family get organized. I found some great items, especially the memo board that already had an attached organizer and small cork strip at the bottom to attach loose papers.  I also picked up two metal trays and a 3 tier organizer as well. I found the perfect area is my kitchen where I could hang the memo board and store the organizer and trays. 




My son and I have a lot of monthly activities going on so I thought that it would be a great idea to add a monthly calendar that I could change out ever month. I just printed a calendar off the computer using Microsoft Word and placed it in frame I bought from the dollar tree.


The memo board will serve as a place for us to record reminders as well as list our dinner choices for the week. At Ollie's I found these small magnets with each day of the week printed on them. We can use them to attach weekly recipes to our board or just serve as a place holder to write our menu choices for the week. I added a few embellishments to make it more personal: two scriptures and our last name at the bottom using stickers from the craft store.

Another piece that I really love about the command center memo board is the two mail slots! They are perfect for incoming and outgoing mail and, if you have more than one person in the home, you can use it to store separate mail! Also, it has 3 small hooks for hanging just about anything. Now I don't have to worry about misplacing my keys around the house.


Pulling it all together was under $20.00. I just love that now I have a centralized place that is more organized to help me plan my days better!

There is a time to plan and a time to organize! 


What organizing tips do you use to help with your daily planning? Do you have a command center or central location for your family to store important things?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Study the Bible: My Color Code System

Testimony: Where I Came From

The Pursuit to Please