Who Do You Trust? Are You For Sure?

I work part-time at a local funeral home in my community where I serve as a media & design developer. This is the same funeral home that my family used during the passing of my dear grandmother. This week alone I created three memorial tributes for families that lost loved ones; one was the grandmother of one our of family's closest friends and the other was a cousin of our family. But this morning something happened that I didn't expect. I received a phone call that a very special cousin of mine had passed early this morning.

My grandmother's death was difficult for me. Not because I was caught off guard by her passing, but because she was my best friend and one of the closest people to my heart. She knew my struggles, she knew my pain, but most importantly above all else, she celebrated my accomplishments. She was the Titus 2 woman in my life that the scripture talks about:

{Titus 2:3-5} "The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

So yes, I miss my grandmother, I do. She passed in November and there are some days when I wish I could just pick up the phone and talk to her, comb her hair, kiss her cheek, and even sing her favorite song in her ear, but I know she's not here for me to do those things.

So, in the wake of unexpected moments how are we suppose to respond? Yesterday morning as I was getting prepared for work I was watching TBN and Pastor Tommy Tenney was talking about Trusting God through Tragedy. My sisters, we never know when tragedy will knock at our door. We are never prepared...but all we do know is that we have connected ourselves to a God through a covenant relationship that will never leave us alone during our most difficult times, especially our tragic moments.

I am reminded of a song that I use to sing when I was a teenager. The lyrics are: "Who do you love? Are you for sure?" As I was getting ready for work this morning the spirit changed those words and asked me, "Who Do You Trust, Are You for Sure?"

You know, through all that I have been through these last few months, I seem to always crack a smile when it comes to me remembering words that my grandmother spoke to me. Before she passed, she looked at me one day with a serious look and uttered these words from her favorite scriptures, Proverbs 3:5-7:

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and to lean not to thine own understanding but in all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy path."

That day I wasn't really sure why she had that particular look on her face, but after a few months, I surely can attest to what she was thinking about when she spoke those words. As women, we feel comfortable when we are able to trust someone. We feel secure and safe making it easy for us to exert love. It's easy for us to give and help when we trust to know that someone is not taking advantage of us or taking our kindness for our weakness, but what happens when we trust those that fail us? We are left hurting and wishing that we never allowed ourselves to get into those situations. But if I may, let me ask you this question:

"Who Do You Trust? Are You For Sure?"

One day I decided to go on a scavenger hunt to find out about this particular man that I had decided to trust in. I went to the record book (The Bible) and began to search and seek situations where others had trusted in this man:

- I took a trip to Jericho, where a blind man named Bartimaeus trusted in this man for eye sight just through what he had heard about him...

- I then took a trip over to a well, where a Samaritan woman trusted in this man who was able to show her that her current thirst could only be filled with true living water...

- I then took a trip over to a place gathered by a huge crowed, where a sick women pressed her way through just to touch the hem of his garment so she could be healed...

- I then took a trip to a city, where a man was lifted into a crowed so he could be healed of his infirmity...

- I took a trip walking behind a group who had been healed of leprosy only to witness one who decided to go back and tell him Thank you...

- I took a trip down memory lane, to a place where a little girl of 9 years old by the name of Angela, laid wrapped in the arms of a man that was able to deliver her from pain, guilt and forgiveness of her past...

- And last but not least I took a recent trip to the side of a hospital bed where I watched my 92 year old grandmother lean over and asked me to sing the lyrics to her favorite song: , "I learned how to Lean and depend on Jesus, He's my friend and he's my guide, I learned how to lean, and depend on Jesus, I found out, If I trust him he will provide."

And on that day, I knew who I would trust and I was sure about it!



His name is Jesus!

So, my sisters and brothers, When tragedy or any unexpected or expected situation hits your doorstep, your life, the lives of your family, friends, and loved ones. Please know who you trust and be very sure that your anchor (what you believe, your faith) holds and grips the solid rock of Jesus Christ!


Comments

  1. Amen amen and amen! Lord Jesus, my heart is full from reading this. Lord knows, if we live long enough we will all encounter hardships..its not a matter of "if" but "when". No single being is immune from trial and tribulations. Oh but JOY, sweet JOY comes in the morning. In those times of hardships our human mind tends to vear off course but WE MUST, LORD JESUS, WE MUST hold on to His everlasting arms. He will never steer us wrong. Lord Jesus, I love u with all my being and I WILL TRUST YOU LORD! I NEEDED THIS ANGELA. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God Bless You Chrisi! So glad That you are very sure, what your anchor holds and is gripped too! Trust in him always my sister! Be Blessed!

      Delete
  2. Angela, what a beautiful post. My grandmother was one of my best friends as well until she passed about ten years ago. I still miss our daily chats yet I can still hear her sweet voice to this day! Thanks for the amazing reminder of trusting in our LORD. He is definitely there for us and cares for us so deeply! Have a great weekend!
    ~Tami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tami! I can't wait to see her again and I know you feel the same way about your grandmother! Have a blessed weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Testimony: Where I Came From

How I Study the Bible: My Color Code System

The Pursuit to Please